29 março 2011

Hábitos de leitura

I have outgrown the habit of reading. I no longer read anything except occasional newspapers, light literature and casual books technical to any matter I may be studying and in which simple reasoning may be insufficient.
The definite type of literature I have almost dropped. I could read it for learning or for pleasure. But I have nothing to learn, and the pleasure to be drawn from books is of a type that can with profit be substituted by that which the contact with nature and the observation of life can directly give me.


(Fernando Pessoa, “Personal Notes”,
Escritos Autobiográficos, Automáticos e de Reflexão Pessoal, p. 136;
em inglês no original)


[ Deixei para trás o hábito da leitura. Já não leio nada excepto um ou outro jornal, literatura ligeira e, ocasionalmente, livros técnicos relativos a qualquer matéria que esteja a estudar e em que o simples raciocínio possa ser insuficiente.
A literatura propriamente dita quase abandonei. Podia lê-la por aprendizagem ou por prazer. Mas não tenho nada a aprender, e o prazer que se obtém dos livros é de um género que pode ser substituído com proveito pelo que o contacto com a natureza e a observação da vida me podem proporcionar directamente. ]


(“Notas Pessoais”, p. 137; trad. Manuela Rocha)